Monday, May 18, 2009

Well, here I go again...

...ignoring the ol' blog. So what has been happening lately? Well, for the past 5 weeks, Dan's been hacking and coughing. For the past 3.5 weeks, so have I. Seems like it would be getting better, but no, I'm actually feeling worse now than I did 2 weeks ago. Plus the oak pollen will be out soon, which means more sneezing and sinus misery. The kids have been sick on and off too. Nothing major for any of us, but it just drags me down and steals any sort of motivation that I have. But enough whining!

So what have we done? We've been reading new books, watching movies, playing outside when it's not raining or cold (anybody remember when that happened?). We've gone to the zoo and Frederick Meijer Gardens. Took our first trip of the year to the petting farm and ran into an old friend that I haven't seen in over a year. Pretty much we've been marching on clutching a box of kleenex and a bottle of water and our store brand sudaphed, waiting to feel better but still mustering enough energy to do at least one fun thing every day.

I also started to look for something fun for Alison to do this summer and I've been shocked at what is/isn't available. The community ed brochure doesn't have much for her age group. There is a class about horses, but somehow I really don't think she's ready for hands on experience with a horse. (lucky for us our friend just got 2 ponies that we can go visit and get acquainted with) I sent for info on a summer day camp at the local Montessori school. First of all, we've done almost everything that they have planned for the summer. Plus it's over $200 per week for 9am-2pm! Do people really do that?!? I suppose they do, but wow, that's not for us. It makes the summer Wings program at the college look downright affordable at $50-100 for 4 days. I think we'll stick to free stuff. Some of our friends go and hang out at Maranatha for the summer. It's a church based resort that people come from all over to stay at for part of their summer vacation. The cool thing is that communtity members can also go for free and listen to the speakers and take advantage of the kids' programs. Now that Ian's older, I feel better about leaving him in a program and I know Alison would have fun. There are also all sorts of summer reading program activities at our local libraries and since we are smack dab between 4 libraries we should be able to find something fun to do almost everyday. Plus there will be playdates and park days with our friends who are getting out of school in a couple weeks and outdoor summer concerts. I think we'll have plenty of fun without $200 a week summer camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment