We got a kitty today!! There was one that I saw on petfinder months ago that really caught my attention. I kept saying that we had to go see her. Well, yesterday we went into Petco and there she was! She came right over to the side of her cage and let Ian and me pet her. So we filled out an adoption form and they said it would be 2-3 days before we heard anything. Today we got a phone call (less than 24 hours later!) that we could come and take her out of the cage and see if we liked her and if we did we could take her home! She did great with Ian (alison didn't go in the corral thing they had set up). So we brought her home! The cool thing is that since it's summer and the rescue place that had the kitties doesn't have a permanent building right now, they reduced the adoption fee to $40!! She's already fixed, has her shots, etc. She's been in the system for quite a while, both in the shelter and a foster home. We've had her for about 4hrs and she's doing pretty good.
Ian absolutely adores her. When he found out we were getting a kitty today, he had to carry the kitty carrier thing out to the car and kept saying "a meow-meow, for me?!" He was so excited while we were getting some kitty supplies (some fuzzy mice, crinkly balls, litter, etc). He would barely leave her alone tonight. He is very gentle with her, touches her softly and she doesn't seem to mind him at all. He was even rolling a small ball and she was chasing it. He only tried to chase her a couple times and I stopped him right away. A couple times he even forgot about her and played with his trucks.
Alison likes her too. She did great with her getting up close to the carrier and talking to her and singing to her in the store and here at home while we were getting the litter box and food and water set up. But then when we let the kitty out, Alison got scared. She went in her room to play (for about an hour) and didn't come out till I talked her into coming out for awhile before bed time. At first she had really worked herself up and was pretty much in a fetal position on my lap with her eyes clamped shut. But after we talked awhile, she started to loosen up a bit and look at the kitty and see how gentle she was being with Ian. It's going to be a slow process, but like I told Alison, once she can get over her fear of this cat, she'll be able to see how strong she can be and that she is capable of conquering her fears.
I haven't taken any pictures of her yet. I figured it was traumatic enough for her to have Ian pestering her, I didn't want to add random flashes of light. I'll get pics tomorrow, but for now here's her petfinder ad that I was so drawn to... http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12107662 She's even prettier in real life. It is kind of freaky how much she looks like our last cat Sydney and it's weird to just look up and see a kitty again.
One last thing, we don't like the name the shelter gave her so we're taking suggestions for a new name. Remember, they have to be approved by Alison who has definite ideas about kitty names.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment