Sunday, October 25, 2009

When he's not busy tantrumming...

...Ian is a pretty fun kid! He is being oh so very 3 lately. Asking for something, like water in his cup, then throwing his cup and screaming on the floor because I...wait for it...put water in his cup! Shocking! I'm never sure what he expects me to do when he hands me his cup and asks for water. If I don't fill it, he gets mad. If I do fill it he gets mad. Thankfully I know it's a stage. I know it's his little quest to be in charge of his world. I know he'll outgrow it. But, it doesn't make it any easier when it's the 10th fit of the day brought on by giving him what he asked for.

So what makes me want to even have him around? There is another side to him. Behind the "I'm so very three" facade, there is remnants of my sweet loving little guy. The one who makes me tear up when he earnestly thanks me for doing something mundane. Like today. Last night after the kids were in bed I took a quick run to Meijer to get a few of the super Saturday sale deals. Alison has been loving Wheat Thins lately and they were 1/2 price so I wanted to stock up. This morning Ian found one of the boxes of crackers and brought it to me. First he asked to see if I was the one who brought them home and when I said I did, he told me thank you for bringing crackers to our house and gave me a big hug. It was so sweet. Then later we were getting ready to go to his friend Stevie's birthday party and he had cracker crumbs on his hands, face and shirt so I was cleaning him up. He gave me a huge hug and thanked me for helping him clean up! It was so sweet. It's moments like these that help even out the rough spots. That make me want to not miss a minute of this wild ride we are on. For every time he throws something in anger or is mean to Alison, there are just as many times that he's hugging us and giving us kisses and telling us he loves us. There are all the times that he plays for hours with his cars and trucks and now his trains that I can sit back and listen to him practicing the language skills that he's got. It's amazing. So I know that I get exasperated and sometimes I complain, but I love this little guy.

Oh and a cool thing he did today...Alison drew a picture of a car for Ian to color for Stevie. Ian added this big, red cloud up in the sky. So I asked him to tell me about that part of the picture. Ian said. "That Stevie, E-R-P, Stevie." I was blown away! We all know the letters are all wrong, but the fact that he's getting the concept that letters = words is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment