So, what's that old saying about March? In like a lion, Out like a lamb you say? Then tell me why on March 29th we are getting snow. When we went to bed at about 2 it was still raining. At 8:30 when Ian woke up, Alison came running and said "Mom, look outside!" I thought there was one of the wild cats or something, but no there was snow and not just a dusting. Even worse, it's 3pm and still here. Actually I'm looking out the window at flurries right now! Ugh, I've had enough winter.
Yesterday we had fun experimenting. We borrowed an ice cream maker from my mom and dad a week or so ago and finally decided to try it out. Alison had run out of ice cream so she wanted me to try to recreate her favorite, Chocolate Moose Tracks. Well, that's kind of a tall order for my first attempt. I did find a recipe in the recipe book for a quick and easy chocolate ice cream using just milk and instant pudding mix. Since I don't have instant pudding mix, I had to look online to see how to make pudding mix and go from there. It worked out really well and has a nice chocolate flavor. I also had the problem of no itty bitty peanut butter cups. So I just added a couple spoonfuls of pb to the chocolate milk mixture. I know Alison likes chunks in her ice cream though so I found a couple forgotten Oreos (only Alison could forget she had Oreos to eat). I crushed them up and added them. This ice cream is sooo good. Alison isn't sure about it, because it's "different", Ian and I like it and Dan said it was good, but maybe too peanut buttery.
Then since we had everything out I washed it all up and started a batch of orange sherbet. It was just oj and milk. I added a little vanilla and sugar, but maybe not enough since it's a bit tart. I'm thinking about letting it thaw, adding more sugar and refreezing it. Not sure if that will do anything weird to it or not. I also chopped up some candied orange peel and added it, yum!
In other news I put up my first two items in my etsy shop. I'm really excited about this, I've got more things already made that I need to list today and I want to create more toys for the shop since I've had so much fun making them. I can't believe how hooked I've gotten on crochet. Usually I learn something new, make some Christmas presents and never do it again. This time though I'm having so much fun. I've made tons of stuffed animals, some for presents, some the kids claimed. Dan's claimed the "special ones" that just didn't quite turn out the way I had planned. I've got a large tote up for sale and a smaller bag and hat that match it that I need to list. I'm also trying to decide what to make next. I'm pretty sure it will be a critter of some sort.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is one we recently made and it was deelish! http://buttersugarflour.com/2008/04/18/roasted-banana-ice-cream/
ReplyDeleteAlso, Charis introduced us to this ice cream, which is our very favorite! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Six-Threes-Ice-Cream/Detail.aspx
Thanks Sybil, those sound wonderful.
ReplyDelete