This weekend we had a birthday party for the kids. I can't believe we have an 8 year old and a 3 year old! It was a really relaxed party compared to others that we've had since Alison was born and I think it was just as fun and the kids enjoyed it just as much. We decided that even though it was kind of hot, to have it outside (the humidity wasn't that bad). That way the kids could run and play and climb on the playset. At one point I think we had at least 6 kids up on the playdeck eating cupcakes and ice cream. It was the perfect kid hang out place. We kept it simple with some beading crafts that doubled as party favors. Even the moms got into making crafts! I don't think anybody will forget Elaine's squid! lol I should have taken a picture.
Now I'm on to finishing up some playfood orders for my friends and making some product samples to put on display/to be played with at my sister in law's dance studio. I'm having fun using some of the yarns that friends have given/sent me. It's interesting to see how some of these funky yarns work up.
I'm also starting to plan for this school year. I still really want to do the Prairie Primer with Alison (it's a whole curriculum based on the Little House on the Prairie series of books). I got an awesome deal on ebay the other day and got all the books I need except Farmer Boy all from one seller and with reduced shipping for each additional book! Alison isn't quite so sure about this though. Luckily it's for 3rd through 6th grade so if we don't do it this year it can wait (problem is I've been looking forward to it and don't want to wait!).
I've started to think about what to do with Ian too. I'm leaning toward doing a letter each week. A friend suggested Letteroftheweek.com and I checked it out. There are lots of interesting ideas but I think the preparatory curriculum isn't exactly what I want to do with him (like you don't intro the letter till Weds) but the stage one is too academic for him. I think that I'll borrow some activities from there though. I found another blog that I think will really work for Ian. It's called NoTimeForFlashcards.com she's a former teacher too and has a lot of fun ideas that she's used with her little boy that look like Ian would like to do.
We also got a confirmation email that we were accepted into the local homeschool co-op and both kids were able to get into the classes we chose. So we start co-op classes on September 18th! We are also meeting up with another homeschool group this Thursday. If it's nice we'll meet at the state park. If it's rainy we'll meet at the local kid friendly museum. Either way we're hoping to make some new friends and have a fun school year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It sounds like a great party, and hooray for getting into the coop! It sounds great. I just realized that I never sent Ian's book. I am such a dork. I'm so sorry. Things have really been, uh - well, weird. I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteTry the blog 'no time for flashcards.' The author was a teacher and has a boy about the age of ours. She does letters and other fun themey things that are more appopriate, I think, for this age. I like to see what she's up to though I don't like to plan crafts as much as she does.
ReplyDelete