Well, this week has not gone the way I had planned. Yesterday Ian and I spent most of the day at the pediatrician and hospital. He had said on Monday night that his foot hurt, but Tuesday he seemed fine and we went to the beach party. Wednesday morning he woke up crying because it hurt so bad. I kept checking his foot out looking for any sign of injury, but just couldn't see anything. I gave him some ibuprofen and finally realized that his ankle was a bit puffy and felt hot. At that point he wasn't putting any weight on his foot at all. We decided to take him to the doctor just to be safe.
Our regular doctor has Weds off, so we saw another ped. She suggested xrays and for us to wait to see what the xrays showed. Off to the hospital we went. He did great during the xrays. I had to hold his foot/leg in position. He complained, but he stayed still. The xrays showed nothing was broken. So then the dr wanted us to get blood drawn to make sure that he didn't have an infection in the joint. That he wasn't as happy with. By that time he was tired and cranky and really not in the mood at all to be held down and poked. He did ok and didn't fight just cried "I no like this!" When we got home there was a message from another of the peds in our doctor's office saying to call her about his labs. There was a problem that one of the markers for infection was coming back higher than it should and the doctors had discussed it and decided that he should see an orthopedic specialist and get a bone scan. I was a little worried at that point. I really didn't think that he was fighting an infection but thought it wouldn't hurt to see an ortho to get a 2nd opinion.
Today when he woke up he still wouldn't walk (he was back to crawling all over yesterday and today). I looked at his ankle and the swelling was down. I talked to his ped about my feeling that the bone scan was a bit of an over-reaction and he explained that the reason they were so concerned is because the one lab test was high and they didn't want to blow off something that could become a big issue. The ortho appointment was today and the bone scan was scheduled for tomorrow. Part way through the morning Ian got tired of crawling around and took a few tentative steps. An hour later he was limping around, but walking.
We kept our ortho appt and he watched him walk, look over the xrays and decided that he would probably continue to get better over then next few days and that we could skip the bone scan! Yay! (That would have meant a radioactive injection then a 2-3 hour wait and a long scan of his foot and ankle.)
After the doctor appointment today Ian and I ran down to Grand Haven. There is a workbook/educational activities publisher that has a once a year warehouse sale. I got $109.75 worth of stuff for only $14!!! Lots of them have Toys R Us price stickers on them, like they are the ones that got sent back when the new versions came out. I got tons of workbooks for Alison (some fun ones like word searches, other more serious ones like math from 3rd through 5th grade). I got each of them a stencil kit that comes with a book of backgrounds you can copy (only $2 each, normally $12). I got Alison a multiplication/division cdrom game for $1 and a really neat book about the world that comes with an inflatable globe. It was an amazing sale!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
He was fine! I think he must have hurt it some time on Monday, played thru the pain on Tuesday at the beach and then Weds it hurt really bad. I know I was sore for a couple days from climbing the dune 3 times. I was really worried that he had broken something when he wouldn't walk at all, that's just not him. Thankfully he was completely back to normal within a few days.
ReplyDelete