Thursday, January 8, 2009

Alison Update

She woke up today in a lot of pain and very lethargic from not eating for so long. It's a good thing she's learned sign language as we've been teaching Ian. Since she wouldn't talk she could at least sign to me about how she was feeling and answer y/n questions. Instead of forcing her to take meds again which was terrible for all of us, I made her a chocolate milk cocktail. Started with soy milk, carnation instant breakfast, a couple tablespoons of vanilla ice cream, a tablespoon of chocolate syrup and the secret ingredient a teaspoon of ibuprofen. She has the tylenol 3 with codiene, but that stuff is so strong tasting that I knew she'd be able to tell something was up and then refuse chocolate milk from now on. The ibuprofen has a much milder flavor and after I mixed everything up I couldn't taste it either. Dan and I are relieved that she has some meds in her system and she isn't traumatized getting them in, win/win, yay!

Not surprisingly with all those calories and the meds she has perked up a bit. She tried a waffle (nuked, not toasted) but it made her throat hurt. Then she tried a hot dog and that didn't give her any problems. She tried some hawaiian bread but that was a bit too dry too. Now she's got a big glass of ice water, it's always been her favorite beverage.

Ian is still being so sweet to her. He seems to know just by the way she's sitting around and not playing that something is up. He's given her hugs and a hello kitty toy to help cheer her up. Dan decided to stay home with us today and it's been very helpful to have one parent for each kid so nobody feels left out.

Thanks for all the good thoughts/support. If you want to leave a message here in the comments for Alison, I'll read them to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment