Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wonderful Wednesday

Today was Alison's first appt with her new therapist to try to work on her anxiety problems. The fun thing is that she is a mom I kind of met taking Ian to story time last fall. Alison was immediately comfortable with her and has been talking about her since we got home. They even have a play room full of toys that they can use during her therapy sessions. We scheduled 3 more appts for the next three weeks and then we might go to every other week or so just depending on the progress that she makes.

While we were gone, the person that I bought some homeschooling books on Craigslist stopped by and gave them to Dan. She took them to the post office and it was twice what she was expecting shipping to be so she just drove over and dropped them off and gave him the money for shipping back. They were exactly what we needed. There are 2 math games and a math book that all focus on memorizing basic facts and patterns within them. We sat down and used the addition one today. It was hard for Alison, but she was starting to get quicker even after the second try. The goal is to finish all the problems in less than a minute. I'm also really excited about the Prairie Primer. It has one month of lesson plans for each of the Little House on the Prairie books. It looks like a lot of fun. I can't believe we got 5 things we really needed for about half the price of the Prairie Primer!

We also got a call this morning that Ian's speech therapist is back in the hospital so they are going to try to get a sub to come see him this week. I hope that it is the one that came last time so she already knows him.

Oh and I forgot to say yesterday that I harvested my shitake mushrooms! Apparently the moisture level inside the log got too low. The mushrooms stopped growing and actually air dried on the log. I cut them of, vacuum sealed them and froze them. Next time I'm going to have to try to figure out how to keep the moisture in the log. You can cover it with a plastic bag between the time you shock it and the mushrooms start growing and I didn't do that this time. I'm thinking that might help hold the moisture longer. Now I start maintainence soaks every 2 wks and in March I can shock it so more mushrooms will grow.

That's about it for us today, hope everyone is having a great day. The sun is shining here which always makes me feel better.

2 comments:

  1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes well with the new therapist.

    ReplyDelete