Another cold snowy day here. I had thought about taking the kids out somewhere today, but they are playing so good that I think we will stay home.
Ian had an OTA (occupational therapy assistant) come see him today. She's a super sweet lady, even though she isn't a speech therapist. It's kind of frustrating. Ian doesn't have any other needs, she kept commenting about how long his attention span is and how smart he was figuring out the toys she brought even though he had never seen them before. He really needs speech, but they had 2 people out sick this week and were scrambling to have kids get seen no matter what. I guess it looks good on the paperwork and for kids who have more than one problem or more severe problems it would meet their needs just fine. I'm just not sure it's what's best for Ian. Lucky for him, I know what his goals are and we work at them all the time anyway.
I talked to her a little bit about sensory integration stuff. I'm not worried about Ian but Alison definately has strong reactions to sensory input. She said that even though we homeschool we should be able to get a basic eval through the school system. She also said that there is a OT that works on sensory integration at Generation Care. So I'm going to look into that for her too.
Alison and I played her math game again today. She is already getting a little faster with figuring out where the problems go on her game board. She gets frustrated super easy though. When she was done I showed her how fast I could do it to show her what is possible when she gets good at them. We also talked about the concept of over-learning so that when you see 2 numbers you know that there are 4 answers you can get. For example, 8 and 4 you can get 4 (subtraction), 12 (addition), 32 (multiplication), and 2 (division). I told her that once she knows them automatically it will free up her brain to think about more important things. She seemed to like that idea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment