Friday, January 23, 2009

Fun afternoon

We had a fun afternoon/evening tonight. The kids and I picked up my mom and went to the Muskegon Art Museum. There were two exhibits that we wanted to see. The first was pop-up-book art by Robert Sabuda. It was an awesome exhibit, with the rough drafts of the pop-ups along side the finished products. They also had a whole table of his books that the kids could touch and look at. If you get a chance to get any of his books either through the library or buying them they are wonderful.

The other exhibit was very interesting, but frankly quite odd. It was all wearable sculpture. I'm not really sure how some of them would actually be worn, but there was a whole section of photographs of models wearing some of the items. I think Ian really liked this one. He really amazed me as far as what he picked up on in the art. There was one piece that was a cage of sorts that meant to rest on the wearer's shoulders and wrap around the head. Directly in the front were 2 circles and a half circle that formed a simple face that would be in front of the wearer's face. I hadn't really even started to look at that peice yet when Ian said "I see eyes, see eyes." and started pointing that way. Sure enough, there were the eyes and that's what they were meant to be. There were a few other things too that really caught his attention, some he thought were scary and he'd hide his head in my neck. Others he got right up to and studied closely. I'm amazed that he listened so well when I told him he could look not touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment