Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Language Explosion

At least it seems like it. Ian is trying to talk so much more just these past few days. Problem is even I can't understand everything he is trying to tell me. Last night he said the same word over and over for more than a half hour trying to get me to understand. He was wiggling his arms and hands like he was trying to make a sign for the word, but it was like no sign we've ever done. Poor guy got so frustrated. I know it was a thing, because we were playing with his magnadoodle and he always tells me what to draw. I got out a bunch of his books and started flipping through the pages asking "is this it?" but he said no every time. I asked him to look in the toy boxes and find one to show me, but he'd just say no and say the word again. It kind of sounds like a combination of goof and golf. I even heard him say it a few times today. I feel terrible that I can't figure it out when he is trying so hard to tell me. His regular speech therapist came today and she could tell a big difference in how much he's saying too. She keeps reminding me that all of this is great progress and not to worry because I can't understand all his new words yet. She was also thrilled that he's calling me mom about 80% of the time now. We've been working on it since September and I had been working on it all last summer and it's really clicking for him.

Also while we were playing with the magnadoodle yesterday he drew a picture and when I asked what it was he signed helicopter. That's the first time he has identified what he's drawn. He had scribbled around it, but after he told me it was a helicopter, I could see the body and tail/top rotors. Unfortunately he erased it before I could take a picture of it.

In other news, one of Alison's best friends is moving away next week. We went to another friend's house on Monday and spent a few hours hanging out and having a good bye party. It will be sad to not have them here anymore. They homeschool too so it was somewhat easier to get together with them since we didn't have to worry about school schedules. We will miss them a lot.

I'm also excited because Dan found an ad last night on Craig's list for a curriculm book that I've had my eyes on for a couple years now. It's called the Prairie Primer and uses the Little House on the Prairie books. It usually is pretty expensive (like over $40). But I am going to get it and a couple math books all for $25! Plus the person who's selling it lives out by my parents so I'm just waiting to hear from them if it is ok to just go pick it up instead of sending them a check and waiting for them to send the books to me. Yippee!!

Ok, Ian's actually taking a nap and Alison's playing in her room so I've got to get some work done. Have a great Wednesday everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment